HOW TO SWITCH UP YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR FALL AND WINTER
Originally published: SEPTEMBER 14, 2021
It’s almost that time of year again. Time to feel the crisp, cool autumn breeze kissing your face as you walk down the street surrounded by a beautiful array of colorful leaves falling from the trees. Pull out all those adorable scarves and boots, because sweater weather, leggings, and all the comfy, cozy clothes, are coming soon! Get ready for evenings snuggled under your favorite blanket beside the bonfire and, of course, pumpkin everything! :) Ahhhh, so many things to love about fall! But, as the temperature drops, one thing we may not look forward to is the effects the colder weather has on our skin. That’s why switching up our skincare routine for colder weather is so important! As the seasons change from summer to fall, it’s also a great time to change up your skincare routine. Your skin will be happy you did!
Dramatic shifts in the temperature can worsen existing problems and irritate your once happy skin. As the temperature falls outside, we also begin using central heat inside which pulls moisture from the air and in turn, your skin. So not only is your skin facing the cooler, drier air outside, but the air inside is drier too. Switching up your skincare routine to accommodate the shifting weather is all you need to do to keep your skin happy, healthy, and glowing for the colder months ahead. Don’t let the chilly, dry air get your skin down — Start prepping your skin for these changes by following a few simple tips:
- Use an Oil-based Cleanser - Using something like our Triple-Threat as a bi-weekly cleanser during the colder months will help keep your skin happy and moisturized. If you haven’t used an oil-based cleanser before, fear not - oil attracts oil, so if you have oilier skin, you don’t have to be afraid this will make your skin oilier because the opposite is true - it will actually help balance your skin by helping to pull some of the excessive oil out! The result - more moisture and less oily skin - it’s a win-win!!
- Moisturize Daily - Although most of us probably already do this, skipping your daily moisturizer in the summer months when the air is more humid tends to have less harsh effects than skipping it in the drier, cooler months. So, while simple, this is a vital part of your skincare regime during any season, but especially in the fall and winter. Using an oil-based moisturizer for fall and winter is even better as oil-based products are better at helping your skin retain moisture than water-based products. Our Triple-Threat is not only a perfect choice for oil-cleansing, but also for using as a moisturizer to keep skin from drying out in the cooler weather. This is one reason why our Triple Threat continues to be a fan-favorite and was recently featured in Vanity Fair - it is an all-around fab product to add to your skincare regime! Don’t forget to apply some extra love to your hands and feet as those areas are extra prone to drying out. Check out our Foot Lotion and our Hand & Body Lotion - They are two great staples to add to your skincare routine for any season, but especially in colder weather.
- Avoid Long, Hot Baths & Showers - So tempting, we know - but excessive exposure to extreme heat can cause your skin to dry out. It’s best to opt for a lukewarm bath or shower instead and moisturize immediately after to help seal in moisture. Our Citrine Hydrating Body OIl or our Whipped Face & Body Cream are both amazing options to apply immediately after your bath or shower while your pores are open and ready to soak in the goodness.
- Exfoliate - It may seem counter-intuitive at first, but exfoliation is super important to keep dry skin at bay! As dead skin cells build up on your skin, they can form a barrier that makes it harder for your skin to absorb moisture. Exfoliating off this layer can help open up your pores which will allow you to better absorb the moisture your dry skin so desperately needs in the colder weather. Check out our Sandalwood Brightening Powder for your face and our Detox Salt Body Polish for your body to level up your weekly exfoliating regime.
- Eat Healthily + Drink Plenty of Water - This may be a given, but don’t forget the importance of eating healthy and drinking plenty of water! We know sometimes (especially around the holidays) it can be easy to get off track and let unhealthy eating habits sneak in as you give yourself permission to eat just one more slice of pumpkin pie or have a few extra glasses of egg nog. It’s ok to indulge, but don’t underestimate the benefits of including a wide variety of fresh fruits and veggies in your meals and snacks throughout the day. We love sharing our favorite healthy and delicious seasonal recipes in our private Facebook group - come join in the conversation and stay inspired to eat healthy for your skin all year long!
Have some amazing fall and winter skincare hacks we didn't mention? We would love to hear them! Comment below with how you change up your skincare routine for the colder months! <3